Friday, August 5, 2011

The First One

According to a quick Google search for the term "Bucket List" you get either the god awful Jack Nicholson + Morgan Freeman (voice of my life) movie, or the definition that is "a list of things to do before you die" (courtesy of Urban Dictionary. 

For the past 4 or so years, my good friend Mike and I have oft discussed the necessity of a road trip once college is over, a "bucket list" trip of sorts. As, with any normal 22 year old male from the Boston area, we may or may not be obsessed with baseball.  This got us to thinking, what could be the best way to see a good chunk of America, while also make a lot of our friends (both young and old) extremely jealous, want to live vicariously through us, and ultimately have a whole bunch of fun doing it? Well, we decided to try to visit as many ballparks in as few days a possible crossing each one off our list. This my friends is the Great American Road Trip of 2011- The Ballpark Tour. Thank you for joining us!

Over the course of the next 23 days, we will be blogging our adventures as we depart from our lovely seaside town of Marblehead, MA to go further and further inland- all the way to Milwaukee, and back again. Over the course of this trip we will be attending 10 games (knocking 10 stadiums off the all important bucket list), visiting some friends, being tourists, and just enjoying the final month of childhood before Mike and I begin a new journey with work. 

While I'd like to try and be funny most of the time I am writing this, the fact of the matter is that while I share the same last name as Jimmy Fallon, I am nowhere near as close to as funny as many of the other writer's I follow (most notably Simmons). I will not give any false pre-tenses and say that this will be a rip-roaring read, but more or less an update into many key features of the trip. We'll have at least 1 computer for the trip, but I'm kind of hoping that I can access the blog through my Blackberry (pretty sure this will be the start of the debate over which is better, iPhone or Blackberry. Maybe RIM won't even be around by the time we get back. Or Apple will own the U.S? I heard they're in the market for a country... I also heard Google's buying Russia? Cold War Again?)  But there will be some constants that I'll elaborate on down below. If you stick with us through the trip you can see exactly how its progressing and if you're in a city where will be stopping, please get in touch with us! (That blog post is immediately following)

Coming Attractions: Where we're headed to that day/coming from. With 10 cities to get to through this trip, we'll be seeing a lot of great places so this is a preview of whatsup. No crazy movie trailer voice needed
What I like: This will just be little factoids of information from the last city, the last game, the people we stayed with, etc etc.
What I DIS-like: The exact opposite of the above, maybe we'll use it to rag on players that are overrated (Jayson Werth I'm looking at you) or something else that didn't go too well on a visit or something awful at a stadium
The Food Debate: This trip will be hitting not only great baseball cities but great food/beer cities in general and I am sure you are all more anxious about this than the baseball
Game Recap: My goal is to complete a scorecard for each stadium we step foot in (since we're printing a lot of our tickets at home, we're not able to get cool memorabilia at each stadium, so this is close). Following each game I'll have some quick insight into what occurred and hopefully do it better than the World Wide Leader.
Bleacher Bums: We're on a budget, so we have bought seats with deals (gasp- a crazy radical thought to anyone that has ever been to fenway) so I'm sure there will be a lot of good stories to be told from these seats.
Summer Reading: Currently I am reading "Cutting for Stone" and really enjoy it, don't know what Mike's reading, but since we're college graduates I do believe that means we can read so I figured we should let you know of any books we're reading that are good.
DJ MMM: Those are Mike's initials, if you don't know he's very in tune with good music these days (not so much Mainstream KISS 108 or JAMN 94.5 artists, but artists that you would see at major music festivals) so this will make the ride much more enjoyable. We'll post our favorite songs each day and maybe you can vote?

I think that's it. There should be a comments section so feel free to put down anything you want. We'll try to get pics up on the reg and of course because this is the 21st century, please follow us on twitter: @willsfallon or on Facebook and Like any statuses we put up! (or dislike I guess?)

That is all friends. Time now to go down to the field for the call we've all be waiting for: "PLAY BALL!"

No comments:

Post a Comment